Thursday, January 3, 2008

Missing in Action, well... non-action


Well, I've been off on my annual month long non cycling sabbatical. This year I extended my season about 7 weeks beyond my norm of late, and with the colder and shorter days.... I threw in the towel about mid November. I needed this time off from the bike, some time to rest, time to enjoy other things and time to get motivated for the next coming season.

I missed my planned December trip to the CX Nationals in Kansas City.... kind of. I ended up making the trip with no intent to race, but after seeing the horrendous conditions there, I didn't miss a thing. Kudos to the racers who competed there, it just wasn't my cup of mud.

So 2008 is here, with some new goals and inching closer to others. The centerpiece of my season will again be the Leadville 100, this will be my 7th LT 100. I've once again decided to make my goal, the task of breaking the 8 hour mark. In 1999 I missed it by 2 minutes, and by 8 minutes in 2005. I'm not getting any younger (47), so I really feel it has to happen this year. In 2007 I rode the LT 100 on a single speed, with a less than stellar time of 9:33.... a time I wish not to repeat. With that being said, my training will totally evolve around peaking and showing my best form on August 9th. So 7:59:59, here I come!

Also this season I'm planning on doing the Leadville Silver Rush 50, which is run in mid July. Although it sounds like a mini LT 100, it's not even run on the same course.... and as I'm told, it's a much harder course than the LT 100.... just not as long. I think this will prove to be a good tune up for the LT 100, as it falls just 3 weeks before it.

The balance of my season will be a mix of mountain, road & cyclo-cross racing, with a schedule that is still largely undecided. What I do know though, is all of my racing and training with be planned with an eye firmly fixed on the LT 100 on August 9th, 6:30am.

Hope everyone is doing well and had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Until next time, happy trails!

1 comment:

... said...

you are truly missing in action...I hope your plane didn't go down.

lil pony