Thursday, October 25, 2007

Lower Huron CX, October 21, 2007

Well, I've been hemming and hawing on this post for four days now and I still don't know how I really feel about this race. It's not that I had a bad race, maybe it's because I didn't have a great race. It was once again seasonably warmer than average.... which I don't care for, but the other guys had to deal with that as well. It was a beautiful day though.... no torrentail rains, freezing temps or knee deep mud.... which I had really feared two weeks earlier.

It started off pretty well, as I had a nice position on the long headwind straight away behind those who chose to face the wind first. As we hit the grass, I was nicely placed in third position and when we hit the "sand pit".... I moved up to second as total chaos insued behind me as racers went all over the place. I maintained second place behind the then again winner Mark Wolowiec until we got to "the wall".... where I went from 2nd to 5th in about 50 feet. I'm just not a runner, and that run up didn't help me in anyway during the race. From that point on I just pretty much rode a hard steady race, losing a little time to those in front of me each lap.... while putting time on those behind me. I ended up finishing a very uninspiring 5th, a distant two minutes behind the winner.

The 5th place finish puts me in 4th for the Cyclo-Cross Point Series, behind 4 guys that I'll have a difficult time making any ground on.... but the season still has 4 races left, so we'll see.

Next up - Veterans Park in Ann Arbor, November 3rd & 4th.

No comments: